Cybersecurity for Industrial Automation and Control Systems Online Certificate Course
Take up to six months to complete the course at your own pace.
Register and start the course at any time.
SCADA technology, which evolved from the relatively simple electric and mechanical devices of the past, drives today’s process automation. Traditionally, those control systems were not designed with security in mind, but today’s environment of open software architecture has made cyber threats possible. The challenge is for companies to develop a threat-resistant infrastructure while still using SCADA technology to a competitive advantage.
This course is intended to provide an understanding of the types of computer-based devices, systems and networks used in modern industrial plants as well as the ways in which these elements can be compromised via cyber attacks. Attendees will also learn to build risk management techniques to improve their plant’s cybersecurity.
Participants in this training program will learn:
- Areas of their plants that are susceptible to cyber threats
- Trends in industrial security incidents and the sources of cyber threats
- Foundations of an effective long term security program
- Risk and vulnerability analysis methodologies
- Principles behind the key risk mitigation techniques, including firewalls, virtual private networks, and personnel hardening
- ANSI/ISA99 industrial security guidelines and how they apply to your operation
- Principles of security policy development
Who Should Enroll
The certificate will benefit SCADA engineers, IT architects, data systems engineers, instrumentation and control systems professionals, operations engineers, and systems and network security personnel. It is applicable to those involved in energy generation, transmission and distribution; water/wastewater; large manufacturing and industrial facilities; and mining industries.
Why Choose an Online Course
There are many advantages to an online course:
- Minimum time away from the workplace
- No travel and related expenses
- Flexible study time and work pace
- Convenient e-mail access to the instructor, who will cover issues pertaining to your specific industry
Why Choose This Certificate Program
Upon your successful completion of the three program modules, the certificate awarded to you by the University of Kansas will document your specialized education and knowledge in cybersecurity for industrial applications. It can serve as evidence of your qualifications and competence to present or potential employers.